Monday, April 14, 2008

THE LAST KASHMIRI ROSE PROJECT

Here is my project for The Last Kashmiri Rose. I chose to make a bag from recycled sari silk I had in my stash. If I had time I would have made the tote bag but due to the shortage of time instead I made the Unbiased Bag from Knitty.com. I have calls out for some funky fabric to line it with and I will also look for a unique button to close the bag with. I think using a lining fabric will stiffen the bag and give it a bit more shape and having a closure is always a plus. I took this photo outside hoping it would photograph better and the color would show up better. It almost blew away it was so windy out there. Here is a close up taken inside for what the photo is worth. If you can't tell the bag is knit in all garter stitch. Four identical parts which are sewn together. I changed the handle just a bit. I was talking to a friend and telling her I was going to decrease the handle to nine stictches from 10 and do an icord as I felt it would hold up better. She suggested I take an idea from the Sophie bag and make three icords braiding them together when completed (not done on the Sophie Bag) which is what I did but I don't think you can tell from the picture.
I had to wind the fourth skein I had into a ball for this project but used very little of it. I just used some to sew up one of the seams and add to the handle.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice bag. I love the colors.

Penny said...

Thank-you and the colors really pop when you are outside.

danielle said...

I love it! i have a skein of the silk that I have no idea what it will end up becoming...

Penny said...

I think if you can get a second skein you can make a fish bag.